Thursday, April 14, 2011

#31 & #32

#31 A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
#32 Sketches of Young Couples by Charles Dickens

I was talking to a friend and we got on the subject of Charles Dickens, at which point I realized how little I have read of his work. I decided on these two because, well I'll be honest, they were short (I really want to get to Tropic of Cancer). I was mixed when it comes to Charles Dickens because the only two books of his that I read before this were A Tale of Two Cities (Good) and Hard Times (Bad). Well, I'm still mixed and I've come to the conclusion that I always will be mixed. He is so subtle (SARCASM). But I did find it interesting to read the intro essay to Sketches. There is a point of view, that I don't agree with, but nonetheless found interesting, that women should not be the ones to propose marriage. According to Dickens, this slowly brings about the decline of society(to keep it short). But in the work as a whole, his portrayal of gender roles and marriage were interesting.


And as far as A christmas Carol goes... well I just kept picturing Scrooge as Michael Caine.

1 comment:

  1. TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY AND JOYOUUUUSSSS, FA-LA-LA

    ReplyDelete